With such a dynamic fusion between sporty performance and touring capability, it is easy to understand why the BMW R 1200 RS is a 2016 Pirelli Bike of The Year finalist. We investigate the mechanics and dynamics of this highly sought after sports tourer.
A powerful heart
One of the reasons why the R 1200 RS is so popular – is because of its potent flat twin 1,170 cc boxer engine that boasts a max torque of 125 Nm at 6,500 rpm and delivers an output of 92 kW (125 bhp) . These are some of the basic technical stats:
- Air & liquid cooled
- Two-cylinder, four-stroke
- Two overhead spur gear driven camshafts & a counterpoise shaft
- Electronic intake pipe injection
- Closed-loop, 3-way catalytic converter (EU emission standards)
- Maximum speed of over 200 km/h
- Constant mesh 6-speed gearbox with helicar gear teeth
The body of an adventurer
The supremely powerful engine is supported by a stable suspension, as well as a number of ingeniously engineered components – that all contribute to an ultra-enjoyable ride on any terrain, even at high speed. Here are some of the key aspects of it:
- Automated Stability Control (ASC): This electronically regulated suspension is a standard feature of this model that was purposefully designed for optimal stability on all landscapes, including country roads.
- “Rain” and “Road” modes: The rider can easily switch from “Road” to “Rain” mode when riding on wet surfaces or areas that require more grip than usual. A huge plus of these modes is that it also controls the sensitivity of the throttle response & it regulates the level of interference from the ABS & ASC.
These advanced features are supplemented by an extremely comfortable seating position and exceptional protection against wind and weather.
This superior sports adventure bike is complimented by sophisticated designer elements that strike that perfect balance between sporty style, ergonomics & function. This includes a set of RR signature half fairing symmetrical headlamps & a beautifully contoured handlebar with forged aluminium attachments. An extensive range of optional BMW rider equipment furthermore enables you to pimp your ride just the way you like.
In conclusion, as sports tourer motorbikes go, the BMW R 1200 RS is definitely worthy of being nominated one of the top motorbikes that is available on the South African market – if not THE top motorbike. Why not see for yourself & click here to book a test ride now.